Monday, May 2, 2016

BS: Top 6 Reasons You Need a Break!

One thing I have found hard at times to do was to stop studying and to have some 'down time'. I thrive on working and 'doing something' all the time and so it gets challenging to wind down. Here are my top 6 reasons why you need a break!

Preventing the 'burnout'

Sometimes, when you have worked really hard for a long time it is good to have a break. Studies actually show that not breaking up your study sessions can actually be disadvantageous to you. So much is going through your brain at the time that you need time afterwards to consolidate the information and let your brain rest. 

Balance

This year for me has been exceptionally challenging in terms of trying to balance uni, socializing, work and downtime. Sometimes, you just need to say "I am not going to even think of my units or my assignments" so that you can fully be present in the moments spent with family and friends. I know it is easier said than done but sometimes it is necessary to turn your brain off from your studies to socializing. Your friends and family will love you for it in the long run!

Distance

Think of it like a relationship. Everyone needs there space every now and again. If you are with your 'studies' 24/7 you may start to go crazy! Distancing yourself for a short while to have your own downtime can be so beneficial for you. Obviously, don't forget about your studies (like you won't forget about your significant other haha) and go back to it the next day or after a couple of hours.

'Me Time'

Putting off studying or even working to spend time with yourself is not a selfish thing to do! It is necessary every now and again. You need to have a break every so often and do thing for you so you can come back refreshed and ready to kick butt! Even if it is as small as painting your nails or having a shower, this breaks up what you are doing and allows your brain to think of other things!

Illness

A lot of people in university and even in high school work so hard that when there is nothing left to do, their body is physically exhausted and they become more susceptible to colds and viruses. During this time, it is more than okay to take a break - overworking yourself during periods of sickness can be extremely negative for your overall health and may make recovering a lot longer! I have found this hard to do when I am going well with my workouts. I could workout 5 times a week for two weeks straight and all of a sudden I get sick; a lot of the time I try to work out through it but it does nothing but tire my body out more!

You deserve it! 

Most of all, you deserve to take a break for all the hard work you have done! There is absolutely nothing wrong with treating yourself. It doesn't have to be as big as going on a holiday; you could do something as simple as taking the week of work or study to catch up on TV shows or even hang out with friends! I try to do this every now and again because without this, I would go crazy!

Hope you enjoyed this post. Feel free to comment below your favourite 'break activities'. Stay tuned for Wednesday where I will be reviewing Annabelle the movie!


No comments:

Post a Comment